Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Journal #9


August 10th,
                Today was a very confusing day for me, yet it was interesting at the same time. This afternoon, we sneaked to the trial, without telling either Aunt Alexandra or Calpurnia. When we got there, we were right on time, to listen to the trial and get seats to sit on. Although I sat there for the whole day listening to what was happening, I couldn’t really understand what was going on. I may not know what was happening, but I could examine everything that was happening in the court house, I could see children running around, babies crying really loudly and people whispering at the back of us. Everything may seem to be dramatically serious, but the audience side may not seem serious about this trial, and was as loud as when it was recess time in my school.  But for some reasons, Jem had his eyes looking at Atticus, and ears listening to every word they were saying in the trial. Later on, something really surprised me; it was when Atticus started questioning the girl, Mayella Violet Ewell, which showed Atticus as a really different him. When he questioned her, I couldn’t believe he talked that way to her, it may seem as I don’t even know Atticus anymore, like he was another person.
                Half way through the trial, they took a five minutes break.  During that time Reverend Sykes told us to leave and Jem only told us to leave, yet he is staying! Then he said I don’t even understand anything happening in the trial. I officially got offended! Although I really may not understand what was happening, he couldn’t just always order me to go home first, and get to does all the fun stuff! It was totally not fair! He shouldn’t just treat me like I’m stupid and couldn’t understand a thing, so I told him I knew everything he knew. But then he had to insult me by saying I don’t know to him, so that I can stay and wouldn’t miss out the fun.
                After, Culpurnia and Aunt Alexandra realized we were missing for a long time, and called Atticus. So we got in trouble for not telling them, so we went home and ate. Afterwards we went back to the court to listen to the judge’s judging and at the end, the Negro, Tom Robinson was charged guilty and was to go to jail. To me it was really confusing, I didn’t get what was happening in the court and neither why Jem cried. Today was just a really long, confusing day, and I’m really tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment