Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Journal #7


July 15th,
                It was Sunday, and it was really fun! Today, Culpurnia led us to the Church, and it was surprisingly plain. When we went in, some people didn’t welcome us, especially Lula, she complained why we were in this church, instead of the other one, where white people go to. Although they didn’t say it out loud, we all sense that me and Jem weren’t welcomed here. So we thought of leaving but then Zeebo welcomed us, and we got to stay.
                Later on, when Reverend Sykes started talking, everything he did was similar to our church, but he expresses with feelings and grace. When it was time to donate money, everybody dropped coins in there. Although he donated, he wanted ten dollars for Helen. When he mentioned her, I was confused and curious of her. Why do we have to donate money to her? What happened to her? Every question led me to ask who she was. To my surprise, she couldn’t find a job because she was a Negro? I never knew that life was this complicated, I thought it was simple, everybody was equal; but apparently, whites are racist to blacks, other than Atticus and us. After donating, we went home.
Later in the day, we saw Aunt Alexandra sitting on the rocking chair at the front porch! I wondered why she came with her suitcases. I never liked being with her for one second, because she’ll start ordering me to not do this and not do that. As I wondered, she said she came back because she wants me to be more feminine. I guess after today, my life wouldn’t be as carefree as today.

No comments:

Post a Comment